Monday, August 1, 2011

Circular thoughts..

Today is August 1. The turn of the calendar page matches the turn of my stomach. Really? August already? You see, dear ones, August causes me to feel that 'itch" in my being... the one that starts the process of circular anxiety. It goes something like this:
OH NO.. school is starting soon, I have WAY too much to do and can't get into my classroom! What kids will I have? What challenges will I face? What fun will we have? (temporary smile).. then the stress engine starts back up... Have I done enough this summer to make it memorable for my boys to write an essay about? How many projects can I complete before I have to go back??Why did I not cross off more of my to do list? How come I was unsuccessful at ending world hunger? loosing 200 pounds? and curing cancer?

You see.. in the world of Education.. August is our "technical" NEW YEAR. I am torn each year between "working like a mad woman", "living it up" and being a "lazy bum" because of the long days I know lie ahead where NONE of these will be an option. Then there is a tremendous tinge of guilt that says (as many people actually have the gaul to say as well).. "be glad you get summer off". Here is the thing.. It is necessary. It is required. Each child needs a new and fresh start. Without summer break, none of us could be fresh.. and that would be very sad and unfulfilling.

BUT WAIT.. while you are on my crazy train.. here is HOPE!! At the same time, I am excited. I GET to start another year with amazing students who keep me humble and real. I have the opportunity every day... every... day... to show them love and compassion and encourage them to be great students and even better people. I am blessed to have wonderful colleagues to share the journey with and we are stronger than any bad day or policy that can come our way. So yes... enthusiasm and excitement with a pinch of apprehension is the order of the day... a hearty welcome to you August first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment