Thursday, July 1, 2010

Vanilla Days

Tonight I took my family to the Fresh House in Locust. THEY LOVED IT!
I had the grilled pimento cheese sandwich on fresh sourdough bread...it was delicious!
My boys (all 3) begged to get up and look around the place while we waited for our food. We could hardly eat our meal for "hey mom...they have...you gotta' see this....."
I had talked about the desserts from my previous visit and all three had to order. One double layer chocolate cake with homemade icing (just like Mema makes); one homemade Reece Cup ice cream; and one homemade vanilla ice cream.
I just had an extra spoon...

The vanilla ice cream was the best. Sometimes life is just like that...the things that we think are going to dazzle us and bring us bountiful joy are well...a little disappointing.
Yet at other times...plain old vanilla...nothing special...nothing spectacular is just what we crave. Life gets complicated and we wallow in self-pity and stress. Maybe..we should shoot for vanilla days...looking for the unexpected yet perfect solution to our need for normalcy and peace. Maybe we should take comfort in the "boring" day where we do nothing...yet nothing interferes with that!

You really need to visit the Fresh House. The bluegrass music and quaint atmosphere is guaranteed to calm your savage soul and I guarantee you will not leave there hungry!
God bless you and your vanilla days!

No comments:

Post a Comment