Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tea Party Observations

Tonight I attended a meeting of the Rowan County Tea Party Patriots (their name not mine). It was an interesting blend of people. My husband invited me and the guest speaker was to be "a former Muslim who will share about the Muslim faith and culture and what caused his conversion". Sounded interesting and I agreed to attend. We even took our boys. However, once the man began speaking... the room became instantly uncomfortable. Although I respectfully listened, I wanted to leave because I don't naturally like conflict.... at all. A lady began to nit-pick on his points and details. He readily admitted he was self-taught and had researched for only ten years. YET, she became more incensed with each statement the speaker made. Whether I believe either of them is not the point. INSTEAD, I observed that our nation was founded on FREEDOM. Freedom of speech and religion without persecution. However, I fear that we may have entered a nanny state where we don't speak freely on either issue to maintain political correctness or so as not to offend. REALLY? I don't read anywhere in the red parts of the Bible where it says "if you need to deny me so people won't get upset... it's okay. As long as you and I know the truth?" This really has my head spinning and for once... I am at a loss for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment