Sunday, February 27, 2011

Teachers are lovers .....

This morning our Pastor continued a series on Love. He started by playing Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" as sung by Whitney Houston. He spoke about the supernatural, unfathomable love of Christ that we mere mortals will never understand until our Joyous Homecoming in Heaven. Repeatedly he spoke of those who taught love to others throughout the Bible... the Good Samaritan, the commandments, etc. and stated "(that) teachers are lovers". I have to fully agree. After sixteen years, I am still fully and totally in-love with the profession I have been called to. Each day offers new opportunities to display Christ-like love to students and adults who need an extra blessing. However, "teacherly love" is analogous to that supernatural love Pastor spoke of. Outsiders don't understand how I can full-on hug one of the stinkiest kids in the entire school and grin for joy when he yells my name down the hallway. They can't possibly understand what would be appropriate about telling a child who has just passed gas and is dying from embarassment.."there is more room out than in, you know?" They can't understand why EOGs are our collective biggest fears because we LOVE these kids and hate for a test to tell them they are anything but wonderful. It makes me proud... which is something love is not supposed to be according to Corinthians. However, the pride is not personal. The pride is in MY GOD who granted me the talent, patience, and energy to teach. I thank GOD he led me to this place, and that (finally) I listened to his call. For these and all my blessings, I am humbled and grateful. Can't wait to share the love tomorrow....... there is nothing better!

No comments:

Post a Comment