Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Life Lessons from the Football Field

This weekend is the Super Bowl. I don't like to always admit it.. but I love football. I do not have a favorite team.. unless you include the ones my children play on and of course Appalachian State. I just truly love the feeling of watching a quality football game. I get a little giddy each fall when you hear the echo of "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?" It's true. You see my love affair with the sport began many years ago. As a pigtailed little girl, my dad took me to Appalachian Games. The most important lesson I learned was .. even tho' he was doing something he loved, I could be a part of it. I was important enough to get to go too. As a 9th grader, I (along with a wonderful friend) was allowed to be the manager of the Woodward Wolverine football team. Riding the bus, I learned about the psychology of men... when they win.. and when they don't. From those hours spent in chaotic celebration or silent agitation, I am better prepared to raise my two testosterone filled sons. I also learned when to SHUT-UP. That skill has come in handy.. tho' I forget about it all too often. After marrying and having our boys, we returned to Appalachian to support the teams through every game leading up to 3 National Championship titles. Thankfully, I was again with my father, who taught me about pride as a tear trickled down his cheek on the occasion of the first win. YES.. it's okay to feel emotions of happiness and pride.. especially for a job well earned and honors not easily attained. For the past three years, I have had the privilege of being involved with Youth Football League. From these, 8 to 10 year old children, I have learned about giving second chances and NEVER settling for less than your best. I have learned the meaning of team and WHY men of 40 years and older still remember their "glory days" and each and every team mates' name. So.. yes.. the end of football season is coming and I am a little melancholy about it. The lessons learned will never leave and it's not too many months 'till my class room opens again.

"Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself."
Paul "Bear" Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment