Thursday, June 2, 2011

Unexpected Emotions

Today my students began sharing their End of Year Theme Song Projects. The routine is simple... 1-Pick a song that symbolizes your experience during your sixth grade year. 2- Write a 200 word essay explaining your choice. 3- Share the song and a few parting words with your classmates. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this assignment. Do you know that of my 85 sweet darlings... NOT ONE song was repeated? That proves to me that they are indeed "uniquely and wonderfully created".
But here is the thing that really got me. One of my quiet and demure ladies played a song that discussed the concept of not wanting to grow up. I have to check with my student to find the title. The young lady totally nailed what it is like to be young and torn between wanting to be grown and wanting to be a kid. As I listened to the song and read my student's words about "wanting to hold my momma's hand just a little tighter"... the tears began to flow and I was moved. The students sat in awe... their sassy, crazy, full of bologna teacher had tears streaming down her face... something rarely allowed or seen. YOU SEE... here is the JOY... my doll, my lady, MY STUDENT HAD BECOME A WRITER. She moved me and I am proud! My mission (for the moment) has been accomplished!

Thanks be to God for my moments of clarity and the love he allows me for the young people I work with. I am a blessed woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment