Monday, June 28, 2010

Friendship- The Classic Version

"It takes a long time to grow an old friend."
- by John Leonard

Today I spent the day with my friend Ellen.
We met when she was maybe all of three years old (I was close to 10) ...and I have loved her since.
Ellen was the most adorable little girl and grew to be a beautiful woman....right in front of my eyes.
Ellen is the sister I never had....but she could go home and sleep in her own house each night. BONUS!
Ellen is funny....her laugh is contagious and she makes me want to be a better person.

I got to watch Ellen navigate braces, boyfriends, basketball, and bras. I was never prouder than to be asked to be her Matron of Honor when she and Jonathan married. Who knew where those Easter Egg Hunts of 30 years ago would end up?

Ellen worries...not the kind that is neurotic...but that she will be the BEST at whatever she pursues.
This pairs with her motivation and stick- to-it-ive-ness and of course...SHE is successful! and I, I am proud!!
Proud to call her my friend, proud of who she is, and proud of the joy she brings to our sometimes dark world!

Today as my nine and ten year olds delighted in her little ones....I was taken back. To a YMCA Pool that no longer exists and a little girl in yellow and white checked dress with AMAZING blue eyes and an angel kissed forehead... has the friendship passed to another generation? I pray to God that it is so!!

So...my dear friend. I say Thank you...for a lifetime of memories and love.
I can't imagine life without you in it! God's blessings on you ALWAYS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment