Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Interview Insanity..

Today I had the honor of sitting in on interviews for a new teacher to our team. There were four candidates and each brought a totally different perspective on teaching and life in general. Tonight.. my head hurts. It was very challenging for me not to dialogue with these folks, shake my head, nod approvingly, give them "sustaining feedback" in their quest to answer the questions in the exactly perfect magical way. All this made me reflect on my initial teaching interviews.
Picture this.. fresh scrubbed, more fit, longer hair Maria.. fresh out of a Master's Program for Special Education and READY and KNOWING that I would save every single child. EVERY.. SINGLE... ONE..
I wonder if my answers seemed childish, pollyanna-ish, rose-colored glasses-ish. Did the people like my energy and enthusiasm or did they see me as hyper without a purpose? Did my numerous years of working with children in a variety of arenas interest them? entertain them? or underwhelm them? I suppose I will never know.
I do know this.. I thank Colleen Bush (and the others who interviewed me.. sorry, I can't remember who was there) for taking a risk on me, despite the fact that I had never taught middle school. My first three years were not always easy and I laugh at some of the typical pitfalls I headed right into and face planted! NICE! I appreciate the guidance of teams and teachers who allowed me to take risks and guide me through making it better and better. I also thank these interviewed folks today. You have given me food for thought. I have stolen some of your enthusiasm and may God find you happy and where HE wants you to be in a few weeks.

Romans 15,4
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."

The past is just that... Reflection allows us HOPE to teach better, love more, enjoy greater, and laugh louder while we fulfill the calling HE placed on teacher's hearts. Thanks be to God for these and all of our many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment