Saturday, July 23, 2011

Signs of the Times

Yesterday I took my rising sixth grader to get his North Carolina required shots to begin middle school. It was rather uneventful, except we were in the doctor's office for two hours. He did fine for a bit, but then grew bored. It made me laugh and he danced, sang, played with the examination table, blood pressure cuff, etc. Five years ago, when we sat in this same room preparing for kindergarten, I am sure I had a bag with books, toys, and snacks. NOW... I had nothing. This was another sign of changing times.

On the way home, we noticed the orange road construction ahead signs. As we approached the work zone, I noticed a flag in the middle of the road...but no human. Instead there was a long metal arm and presumably another cylindrical device that held a sensor or camera within. Additionally, there was a old fashioned traffic light (with the green missing). For a moment, I felt like I had been abducted by aliens. I saw no humans. Was this entire work place automated and run by some Oz like character from behind a curtain? Just then, the arm raised, the light turned yellow and I proceeded with caution. We accelerated up the hill and found a bevy of "working" men scattered under shade trees taking a break. Some things... well ... they never change!

No comments:

Post a Comment