Wednesday, February 21, 2018

February 19... Writing Challenge 2018

One Way I Can Help A Friend...

is to listen without judgment.  Most humans simply want to be heard.  I have been guilty of not really listening because I was too busy formulating my rebuttal or internally generating my most excellent advice.  I have been caught red handed by the speaker for not listening and my suggestions have been completely ignored because my friend did not really want either of those things in the first place.

When I drop my normal judgmental ear, I find a new appreciation for my friend's situation, circumstances, and story.  I can follow up with genuine concern and not be tempted at all to share their words with others who do not need to know them.  I am more empathetic and more of the person I want others to believe I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment