Saturday, April 17, 2010

View from The Deck

So this morning I have stolen a few moments on The Deck. The Deck deserves capitalization due to the fact that it is an entity of its very own. The Deck was built by my father in law with materials purchased by my mother. It was an anniversary gift and I LOVE IT! It is obnoxiously oversized for my modest home and holds a plethora of memories. Each year I attempt to "upgrade" and add a little something something to The Deck. Unfortunately..my inner Martha does not believe in upkeep...so it ends up being a menagerie of eclectic insanity. Today The Deck got its spring washdown. As I soaked up the sun and hosed down The Deck, I was reminded of the fun we have had. Several kids' parties full of shrill screams and spilled sodas. Quiet fall nights with a fire and blankets. Summer scents of grilling and laughter filled water gun fights. The latest on the list of accomplishments for The Deck is "hair cuttin' station". In an effort to save money, my lovely husband purchased an incredible set of industrial clippers for my use on his and the boys' heads. We gather on The Deck and prepare for metamorphosis. I am gaining knowledge about the patterns of hair, cow-licks, waves, and texture of each and every hair on their precious heads. I sometimes do very well and other times..well not so well. In any event, this morning as I sheered, buzzed, and perfected my "art", I could not help but think of God who knows each and every hair on our heads before even our parents know we exist. I am overwhelmed that he cares enough to LOVE ALL OF US that much. So I will strive to be a better barber on The Deck. I will love every curly, wavy, gray, brown, blond, gray (yes there seem to be more and more of those these days) on my head! I will take pride in The Deck and continue to make memories....
Gotta' run.....praying that you are pulling in the driveway...join me on The Deck...there is always room!

1 comment:

  1. Now you need to post a picture of it on here to share! We love our deck too that came with the house and we hope to be able to have same types of memories on our DECK as you do on yours! It is big deck at our house too but probably my favorite part of the house. When you guys gonna stop by Mooresville and visit me?! :)

    ReplyDelete