Friday, April 30, 2010

Lunchtime Revelation

Today I had the pleasure of having lunch with a student I taught last year. He was my "project". You see, he had failed everything in life. He was repeating sixth grade and had little or no home support. He did nothing. He hated school. He had no friends. We made a bet last year that IF he would do a book report, I would do cartwheels. A bet I knew I would never have to pay. WRONG!! but that's another story.

Recently, we made another deal. You see, this child would meet my expectations. I don't know why...he just would. The details were simple. He would behave for another teacher for two whole weeks. This was a difficult challenge and much more excruciating than it sounds. This morning as he passed my class I said.."hey, what's your favorite pizza?" "Supreme" he replied. Of course I thought. I frantically ran around checking to make certain that his self-reports of good behavior were true. THEY WERE! Hooray!

So...he dropped by my classroom on his way to lunch (as he often does) to encounter a Domino's Pizza just for him. We sat and talked and shared lunch and laughter. He seemed a little uneasy at first...but with the first bite of lunch and an effervescent pop of his coke can... a new child was revealed. He stopped being that gawky, awkward "nobody" and became my student, my friend. We spoke of testing and fears and summer days on the horizon. He talked about what he had done right and unintentionally revealed his need for acceptance. HE wants to be liked. HE wants to be believed in. HE wants to be loved.

So I am challenged, once again, to look past exterior facades and search for inward value and beauty in others. Each of us wants to be valued and cherished. It's nice to matter and be affirmed. Do you have a "project"? Get one today. I guarantee you will be the one who is blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment