Friday, January 12, 2018

January 10... Writing Challenge 2018

One Thing I Learned About Myself Last Year...

was that I can have a huge amount of patience and self control.  Beginning December 2017, my husband’s health rapidly declined.  He had not  felt great after  Thanksgiving  but had to go to Texas for a water emergency.

 When he returned, he absolutely was wiped out.  Our doctor diagnosed him with mono and he spent most of the Christmas holidays in bed or in the recliner.  He was pitiful and a very sick man.  We just assumed mono in adults was worse than in kids and kept trying to rest and feed him into health.

Around the MLK holiday, his balance and nerve control took a nose dive.  Thankfully, he saw the right people and had a major neck surgery to make repairs to a severely damaged spinal cord.   During all this time, I never lost patience with my husband or his prognosis.  I listened carefully and tried to help doctors understand this was not normal.

  Through it all, I worked at my job, tried to be a decent mom, and even managed our household and the water pump in our well going out the day I brought him home from the hospital.  At any given moment, I could have lost my crap... totally... like for real!  Instead, I managed self-control and patience with the situation. Through it all, I never doubted we’d be okay....one way or another!  God made it so....just like he gifted me with patience and self-control like never before.

No comments:

Post a Comment