Saturday, January 13, 2018

January 13... Writing Challenge 2018

A Place I’ve  Been Recently....

is H2O Waterfowl in Dunn, NC.  My little family of four went to participate in an IDPA Pistol Match.  I was nervous but felt ready to give it my best shot...pun intended.  We woke up early for a Saturday morning and headed out at 6:15 a.m.   I drove and sang songs and was feeling pretty relaxed all things considered.  We arrived to find LOTS of other shooters but I still felt okay.  We were assigned a squad with our friend as the SO (Safety Officer) and I was one of only three women.  Still...I was okay.

We got to our first Stage and it was tricky, but doable.  As long as I kept my head and used good form.  I vowed not to worry that I was slow...and to focus on accuracy.  I watched others and was still not wigged out too badly.  My turn was called and I nodded with only a tad bit of apprehension.  I charged my pistol and concentrated on smooth trigger pulls and fluid movements and hitting the targets in the correct order.  Part one...whew...no penalties!

Moving onward to phase two and I followed proper rules of concealment and was actually breathing again...then DARN IT... I turned to the right when I was supposed to turn to the left.  I never swept anyone with the muzzle of the gun,  never was unsafe...but BAM.... disqualified!!  DQ!!??   Disqualified...not Dairy Queen.

Instantly I was shifted to another place.  The one between my ears.  I could’ve blamed the pistol, our friend, my kids, my husband, the dogs back home...you know....on and on and on!  Instead, I apologized and said it was my fault.  I took the punishment of being DQed from the match with no pouting or gnashing of teeth.  I hated to mess up... but owning my mistake felt pretty good.  Nobody could talk junk because there was nothing to say.  I messed up.  I admitted it.  I took my punishment.

This “place” felt really good.  Maybe I’ll go there again in a different setting.  Maybe, you’ll even join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment