Sunday, January 21, 2018

January 19...Writing Challenge 2018

When I Feel Most Rested...

Sleep has never really been a friend of mine.  LIKE EVER!!  I was that kid that required little sleep and am told that one of my first sentences was " no B-E-D, daddy, NO B-E-D!!"

As a result, much of my life is spent consuming high calorie, low nutrient fructose and caffeine to maintain energy need to be "on" and "110%".  YEARS of this behavior has started to catch up with me, I must admit.  The dark circles are harder to hide and I nod off in my comfy chair sometimes before the sun sets.

HOWEVER... a time I feel most rested is about the middle of July.  School ends mid June and by the middle of July, I have established good work out habits that don't get cast aside because of the demands of life.  I am eating more fresh vegetables and taking the time to enjoy preparing the meals I consume and am driven by my personal body clock and what my heart desires instead of job commitments and demands.

Most times by this point, I have spent a week or more in the mountains of North Carolina breathing in fresh air and exhaling the dank, nastiness of life lived in the trenches.  I read, visit with friends and family, take the time to notice the beauty around me and appreciate every little thing I see.  I sleep, eat foods that are pleasing to the pallet (even if they land among the hips and thighs), and indulge in mindless television to the point of being spellbound by HGTV or Food Network for a time.  I play board games  or not. I do school work... or NOT.  I just roll with it and attempt to throw a few dance moves in as well.  YES is the battle cry for the week and laughter echoes across the mountain tops and lands deeply in our souls.  We store it up to carry in our hearts until this magical period of rest and renewal arrives again and it is indeed magical.





No comments:

Post a Comment