Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 16...Writing Challenge 2018

What Are My Personal Gifts?

Gifts are often things we receive that we did not ask for and sometimes things we never knew we needed.  I think of personal gifts in that manner.  God created each of us with the exact skills HE knew we would need.  Some of those gifts are always present; while others are with us for a season of our lives only.  

One personal gift I have always had is the ability to see good in most situations.  Positive slants, humorous side effects, and tons of silver linings have been sprinkled in my thoughts like cheese from the shaker on a gorgeous homemade pizza.

Another personal gift I have is resiliency.  There is a terrible {yet catchy} song by Chumbawamba called "Tub Thumping."  The primary words are "I get knocked down, but I get up again.. You are never gonna' keep me down."   This seems to be a theme in my life too.  I am not good with staying in a dark, negative place for too very long.  I seem to forgive too quickly and appear to be "over it" because the truth is... it hurts me to dwell there.   I don't see the sense in wasting time in self-pity when your situation will not likely be changed by this behavior.  My brain automatically screams  "THIS STINKS!! and now what are we going to do about it?"

A last gift that still fits in this theme is the ability to see and (hopefully) draw out the good in all people.  Sometimes we are the mirror that others need.  Reminding others of how far they've come, how truly good they are, and  regardless of circumstances  they are valuable and worthy is  a great gift.   I love to analyze folks and see what makes them tick.  In doing so, you usually find most of their negative behaviors are driven from a hurt that is familiar and one they just might not be ready to let go of.  When we take time to understand and invest in those damaged lives, it is truly amazing what can happen.  Their lives are forever changed...but so our ours... which is actually yet another gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment